While “any news is good news” might be a common phrase in marketing departments, it doesn’t follow that it’s true. The daily news is full of companies whose past unethical misdeeds are unearthed, and the publicity they receive is assuredly not good for their bottom line. A company who strives to be ethical in their daily business finds that managing their online reputation is much easier. This isn’t a coincidence.
Online reputation management is particularly important given the amount of time people spend on the Internet these days. Depending on word of mouth recommendations isn’t enough anymore; a company needs to manage their reputation online so when people do a search for them, they’re met with a positive representation of the brand. Hopefully, that positive first impression is true as a result of ethical actions.
Doing business ethically doesn’t have to be difficult. Here are some examples of what to do:
- Be transparent: Don’t let a hacking incident or disgruntled employee show the company’s dark side.
- Stand by employees: Employees respond to loyalty with loyalty, and a business looks better if it backs up its people.
- Let the public know: If a company is ethical, it should let people know what it’s doing. No reputation is almost as bad as a negative one.
- Learn from the mistakes of others: If a competitor makes a mistake, there’s no need to learn the lesson the hard way.
There’s also a list of things not to do:
- Don’t cover up a mistake with lies
- Don’t post fake reviews or made-up stories.
- Don’t have secret double-standards.
- Don’t neglect to publicize good deeds. A good reputation won’t necessarily speak for itself.
A professional online reputation management firm like Massive Alliance can help a company build, and maintain, a great online reputation through preparation, monitoring, and mitigation. If you need help with your online reputation, don’t hesitate to reach out.